Sunday, March 31, 2013

Weekend Slowdown

Happy Easter to those who celebrate! Eat lots of candy guilt-free today!


Lots of people on Bradley's campus went home for the holiday weekend, so it has seemed like a very slow, chill weekend to me. Yesterday with not much to do, I decided to tackle not one.. not two.. but THREE Pinterest recipes that I've been sitting on for a while. 


I don't think I've mentioned this before on here, but I don't eat red meat. Over the last 2 years I've removed red meat from my diet completely. I never really liked it to begin with, so I've just become more conscious of what I prepare. It's super easy to replace most red meat with leaner white meat and this spicy chicken burger is just one example! 

The recipe is incredibly easy to follow and I already had almost everything I needed for it in my pantry. I decided to halve the recipe, since I was only cooking for 2. I got 4 burgers out of the recipe and they turned out really delicious! I hate the texture of pineapple, so I went without that part of the recipe, but I can imagine if you love pineapple you'll love these burgers with it!

As a side, these no-fry fries really got the job done. They were delicious and SO easy to make! For me, fries are one of those foods that just makes me feel guilty as soon as I eat them. There are definitely other foods that are healthier, but I had these without feeling bad about it, since I knew exactly what had gone into them- which wasn't much!

After making the alfredo sauce from my last post with Greek yogurt, I'm starting to try to find conversions and everyday recipes to use Greek yogurt in. You can't even taste the difference and making it a habit can make dishes a little better for you. I forgot to take a picture of this one, but this altered version of a boxed cake tastes BETTER with Greek yogurt. Instead of following the directions on the box, you just add the cake mix with a cup of vanilla Greek yogurt and a cup of water.
It's THAT easy! And it turned out delicious. One of my roommates had it for breakfast this morning, so I'd call that a testimonial to how Greek yogurt can be your best friend. 

On a completely unrelated note, I'm sitting in the library working on this, and I just downloaded the new OneRepublic album Native. They've been one of my favorite bands for years and I really recommend this one, so far. 
Check it out!

Get out and enjoy this nice weather before we have to get back to the reality of the work week tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. All of the food you made looks sooooooo good. Ugh. Lunch time isn't soon enough... I definitely think I'm going to try those fries. I also feel incredibly guilty after eating fries, but I kind of love potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love potatoes, too! This was a good way to get a treat. :)

      Delete
  2. You are not the first person who has enjoyed the no-fry fries. I really need to remember to try them some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,

      I probably would've baked them a little bit longer, but they were great! My boyfriend really liked them, too. Hopefully your family does, too!

      Delete